Discover stunning natural beauty from a new perspective and join our stand up paddle boarding in Rotorua. Along the Ohau Channel, which connects Lake Rotoiti with Lake Rotorua, the region's largest and most historic lake, you follow the flow of the water amidst untouched nature. Your experienced guide is at your side throughout the whole tour and is happy to share interesting facts about the area.
You don't need any previous experience to go stand up paddle boarding in Rotorua and it is a fun activity suitable for everybody from the age of 4. Standing on a board with a paddle in your hand, you will quickly get used to the sensation of "walking on water". There is no better way to explore the lakes of Rotorua than on a SUP.
We pick you up at the i-SITE Visitor Information Centre in Rotorua 40 minutes before the start of your paddle boarding. The drive to our base in Okere Falls takes about 20 minutes. Alternatively, you can come directly to our base in Okere Falls 15 minutes before the chosen start time. Once you arrive, we will hand out your equipment, you can change and store your belongings. Before your adventure can start, you will receive a detailed introduction to stand up paddling and a safety briefing from your experienced guides, so you are prepared for the trip.
From our base, we take you to the starting point at Ohau Channel. To start off, you can practice paddling until you feel safe on the board. Then you follow your guide and explore the natural beauty of the region while paddle boarding in Rotorua.
After about one hour of paddle boarding in Rotorua, the trip ends at the popular Okere falls arm. Here you get out of the water and are picked up by our team, who takes you back to our base, where you can shower and change. If you are hungry you can go to the restaurant next door and enjoy some food and drinks in their beer garden. If you were picked up in Rotorua, we take you back there.
- Location: Ohau Channel between Lake Rotorua and Lake Rotoiti
- Description: The Ohau channel connects the ancient volcanic crater of Lake Rotorua with Lake Rotoiti. While paddle boarding in Rotorua you will pass by historic Maraes and discover stunning nature with lots of native species.
- Total duration: 2 hours (3 hours with pick-up)
- Time on the river: 1 hour
- High-quality board & paddle
- Wetsuit, life jacket, booties
- Certified guide
- Transfer to the starting point and back to the base
- Pick-up from Central Rotorua if required
- Minimum age: 4 years
- Physical health