Allow yourself to be awestruck by the fascinating landscape as you soar high above the majestic mountains and pristine lakes of central Otago by hang glider. With the help of the cutting-edge aerotow method which sees you and your tandem pilot being tugged into the air by a specialised plane, you are able to quickly ascend to heights of around 3.700ft./1.128m. Our aerotow flights are perfect for anyone who is looking for an opportunity to go hang gliding in Queenstown, as the airstrip is located only 50 minutes away from the city.
- Meeting & Preparation:
We offer a shuttle service for everyone who wants to go hang gliding in Queenstown. The bus from our office in the town centre to the take-off point at Sugarloaf Airstrip in Cromwell leaves at 07:45am, 09:45am, 12:30pm and 02:30pm, so please arrive here 20 minutes before the start time specified on your booking confirmation to allow enough time for us to check you in. The bus ride itself takes around 50 minutes. At the airstrip, you will be thoroughly briefed by your experienced tandem pilot who will also help you get strapped into the hang gliding harness.
- Start and Flight:
Once you're all set, the hang glider will be attached to the back of a small plane with a rope. The plane will then take off from the airstrip, thereby towing you, your tandem master and the hang glider into the air. Once you're airborne, all you need to do is relax and enjoy the flight.
- After Landing:
At the end of the flight, we will land back at the airstrip we took off from. From here, we will drive you back to Queenstown.
- Route: From Sugarloaf Airstrip, Cromwell to Sugarloaf Airstrip, Cromwell (round flight)
- View of: The mountains and lakes of Central Otago, close to Queenstown
- Altitude change: 3.700ft./1.128m
- Total Duration: 4h
- Duration of the flight: approx. 20 minutes
- Type of flight: Aerotow
- Complete flight equipment: hang glider, harnesses, helmet etc.
- Licensed, certified hang gliding pilot
- Transfer to the starting point and back to the base
- Pictures/Videos (or for an extra charge payable on-site)
- Gloves and jackets can be provided on request
- Solid footwear
- Warm clothes
- Minimum age: 8 years (parental consent needed for passengers under 16)
- Minimum/Maximum weight: 100kg