Sledge on the Kawarau River and its white waters for 7km on a specially designed board! Our unique sledging boards are easy to manoeuvre, have a solid grip and will keep you slightly more above the water than the normal bodyboards. Sledging is perfect for those people who want to feel the thrill of the river, but still, need to gain some confidence in the water. Ride the rapids, conquer the waves, spin on giant whirlpools and try some cool rock jumps. Master the Kawarau River, be the one in control!
Tour programme- Preparation:
We meet 15 minutes before
the booked time at our base if you wish to take advantage of od our transfer service. If you want to come directly to the river, please come there 45 minutes after the booked time. Once on the river, you will be given a safety introduction
to the whole activity. The trip starts in a calmer section of the river where you will have to perform some minimum swimming skills.- Tour:
Once in the river, our guides will let you find the best rapids and eddy lines and feel the power of the white waters as the stream guides you down the river. During the activity, you can ride waves, spin on whirlpools and jump from rocks. The final section of the river, a calm one, will allow you to relax while admiring the river its spectacular colours. - Arrival:After around 1.5hrs in the river
, you will reach again the starting point, the historic Goldfields Mining Centre, where a Kiwi Picnic will be served.
- River: Kawarau River (Difficulty level: Class II-III)
- Description: The Kawarau River is perfect to experience water activities because of its different sections, from the calm ones to the more agitated. You can enjoy swimming through rapids, riding whirlpools and eddy lines and even some cliff jumping.
- Route: from Goldfields Mining Centre and back
- Distance: 7km
- Total duration: 4.5hrs
- Time on the river: 1.5hrs
- High-quality equipment
- Certified guide
- Transfer from Queenstown (optional)
- Photos (bookable on-site - NZ$40)
- Light snacks & refreshments
- Minimum age: 12 (consent needed for passengers under 18)
- Physical health
- Basic swimming ability