Escape the crowds and experience New Zealand's untamed wilderness on one of it's most beautiful rivers at Rangitata Gorge! Our rafting trip including pick-up is ideal if you are looking to go white water rafting from Christchurch. Alongside our experienced guides, you will prepare to face thunderous rapids that won't leave anyone dry. After this adrenaline rush, you will have built up an appetite for our delicious Kiwi BBQ.
Tour programme- Preparation:
For your rafting with Christchurch transfer, we pick you up at one of our 5 pick-up locations* in Christchurch
and take you to our base in Peel Forest near Geraldine. The drive takes about 2 hours. Once you arrived, you meet our team and get all the necessary equipment. As soon as everybody put on their wetsuit we drive to the river in our vehicles. Before we get in the water, your experienced guide will give you a detailed safety talk
to prepare you for the trip.- Tour:
We start our tour on a calmer stretch of the river, where you can get used to paddling and warm up with some grade 2 and 3 rapids. Before we hit the wildest section of Rangitata Gorge, you have the chance to get out of the boat and check out what's to come. Now you're ready to face the challenge of the grade 5 rapids
. But no need to be scared: if you don't feel safe, you can also walk around the wild stretch with our photographer. Afterwards, you will also have the chance to go for a refreshing swim in a calmer part of the river.- Return
At the end of the tour, we will be picked up and taken back to our base. While you change and take a hot shower, we prepare a classic Kiwi BBQ
with delicious South Canterbury sausages, coleslaw and potatoes for you. Now it's time to relax, enjoy some great food, and check out the photos of your adventure. At the end of the day, we take you back to Christchurch.
- River: Rangitata Gorge (Difficulty level: Class II-V)
- Description: With some of New Zealand's most exhilarating rapids, the Rangitata gorge is the place to be for some real rafting action amidst spectacular nature.
- Distance: 10 km
- Total duration: 4.5 hrs
- Time on the river: 2.5 hrs
- Participants per boat: up to 7
- High-quality raft
- Rafting and safety gear (wetsuit, windbreaker, booties, flotation vest, helmet)
- Certified rafting guide
- Pick-up from Christchurch and return
- Classic Kiwi BBQ
- Optional: Photos (per boat; up to 7 people can share the same photos)
- Glasses strap
- Minimum age: 13 years
- Physical health
- Swimming ability
- Minimum weight: 40 kgs
- This tour is not suitable if you are pregnant.
*Christchurch pick-up locations
- Top 10 Holiday Park, Papanui
- Sudima Hotel Carpark, Christchurch Airport
- All Stars Inn on Bealey
- Canterbury Museum, Christchurch Central
- Dress-Smart, Hornby