You love to go skiing in Austria because of the difference in weather conditions compared to Swedish ski resorts? Temperatures in the Alps are just slightly below freezing level and thanks to higher located ski areas, the number of sunshine hours is bigger – spot on to be outdoors and enjoy the slopes!
Especially Austrian ski schools are eager to provide Swedish-speaking instructors – as long as there is availability. So our tip is: book in advance and save the lesson which fits you best. The team of CheckYeti presents you a list of the 5 best ski resorts with Swedish-speaking ski instructors.
- Bad Gastein: the perfect ski resort for groups
- Sölden: learn to ski at a glacier ski resort
- St. Johann in Tirol: learn to ski with Valle the snowman
- Zell am Ziller: playful ski lessons in the kid’s area
- Mayrhofen: a varied ski resort for families
Bad Gastein: the perfect ski resort for groups
- The well-known spa town and winter sports centre Bad Gastein, located in the heart of the nature park Hohe Tauern in Austria, is part of the huge ski resort Ski Amadé. The closest airport is located in Salzburg, from where it takes you only a 1h car ride to reach Bad Gastein. About one-third of the two skiing mountains in Bad Gastein – the Graukogel mountain and the Stubnerkogel mountain – are blue slopes and perfect for beginners and intermediates.
Even if you already have basic skills, it might be useful to get some input from a trained instructor – and this is where Bad Gastein offers some special features. If you are a group of 4-6 people, you have the possibility to share a private instructor for the price of a common group lesson. You’ll have the great chance to ski and improve in good company, together with a professional instructor. As long as all group members have a similar level of experience, lessons will be tailored exactly to your individual needs. By booking in advance, your chance to get a Swedish-speaking ski instructor is very high.
CheckYeti Tip: A good way to end a skiing day in Bad Gastein might be a visit to the local thermal baths, the Bad Gasteiner Felsentherme. The 600m² panorama spa with 8 different saunas and steam rooms make it the perfect place to recover from a fun day on the slopes.
Sölden: learn to ski at a glacier ski resort
- Sölden is one of Austria’s most famous glacier ski resorts and also the venue of FIS Ski World Cup races. It is located in the Ötztal valley in the Austrian state of Tyrol. From the Innsbruck Airport, it takes you only 1h by car to get to this skiing paradise. Thanks to the long-lasting winter season, ski fans have the possibility to enjoy the slopes from September to May.
Although the 3 ski mountains of the resort are above 3000m sea level, there are also many areas suitable for less experienced skiers. Especially the Giggijoch is suited for beginners, as most of the ski schools and the kids’ area are located there. Various obstacles and a magic carpet are available to support kids from the age of 3 years and older during their first skiing experiences. In the kinderland, there is childcare during the lunch hour and the penguin mascot Bobo provides an extra portion of fun when giving the little ones precious tips.
In order to design your skiing holiday as convenient as possible equipment for the lesson can be borrowed directly at the ski schools near Giggijochbahn. If you book lessons in advance, a Swedish-speaking ski instructor will be there for you. Thus, you can lay back and enjoy your stay to the fullest.
CheckYeti Tip: As a recreational activity, your kids might love to visit the “Freizeit Arena Sölden”. The family-friendly adventure pool is the perfect program for afternoons after your ski lessons.
St. Johann in Tirol: learn to ski with Valle the snowman
- The Austrian ski resort St. Johann in Tirol is located in the heart of the Kitzbühel Alps between the mountains Kitzbüheler Horn and Wilder Kaiser. One of the ski resort’s highlights is the 5km-long downhill run “Sauereggabfahrt”. It is a FIS World Cup route and from the summit to the valley, you overcome a 775m difference in altitude.
Nevertheless, the ski resort is also perfectly suitable for families with children. Ski lessons for beginners are offered for kids from the age of 2 and all of the valley stations can be reached over exclusively blue pistes. Especially on the north side of the Kitzbühler Horn mountain, there are many easy and beginner-friendly slopes. In addition to that, training areas are at the beginners’ disposal.
- Valle’s Kinderland with 2 magic carpets and a ski carousel is perfect for children to get used to the new equipment. Valle the snowman itself and his friends, Freddy the bear and Wanda the panda, are happy to support the newbies together with Swedish-speaking ski instructors.
CheckYeti Tip: If you and your kids want to experience something exciting besides the pistes, you should visit the Hornpark near the intermediate station of the Harschbichl Gondelbahn. Here, offers for kids from the age of 3 are available. A highlight is for sure the flying fox zip-line!
Zell am Ziller: playful ski lessons in the kids’ area
- Zell am Ziller is an idyllic village located at the heart of the Austrian Zillertal valley and the entrance to the Zillertal Arena, which is an alliance of 4 ski resorts over the 2 federal states of Salzburg and Tirol.
The ski resort is especially liked by families and children because of the comfortable access: the valley station of Rosenalm, where most of the blue slopes are, is located near the city centre of Zell am Ziller. The kinderland ArenaFUNtenland can be found directly at the mountain station of Rosenalm. Here, a wave track and a ski carousel are the kids’ highlights. FUNty, the yellow elephant, helps children making their first experiences on the snow in a chilled atmosphere. Lessons in the kinderland are available for children over 3 years of age.
- Ski lessons for adults in Zell am Ziller start from the beginning of December, are offered for all levels and you can choose between full- or half-day instruction. If you are early in booking, Swedish-speaking ski instructors holding group and private lessons for kids as well as for adults will be available.
CheckYeti Tip: Going down the mountain with the Arena Coaster is always a funny experience for children. It starts right at the Zillertal Arena valley station in Zell am Ziller and promises to be one of the most exciting activities.
Mayrhofen: a varied ski resort for families
- Mayrhofen is, just like Zell am Ziller, located in the Zillertal Valley and you can reach the skiing destination in 1h by car from Innsbruck. The ski resort gives access to 2 different ski mountains: the varied Penken and the lower Ahorn. Both provide numerous blue slopes and are therefore perfectly suited for families and beginners. Apart from that, at the Penken mountain action-seeking snowboarders and freestylers will find a snowpark as well as one of the steepest slopes in Austria.
Ski schools are operating on both, the Penken and the Ahorn mountain where you can train in special training grounds and your kids can make their first experience on skis in a kinderland. While on the Ahorn mountain, Mickey and Minnie Mouse are supporting the smallest ski stars, on the Penken the mascots Dino and Bruno the ski bear, are awaiting the little future professionals. Ski lessons start for kids from 2 years of age on both mountains. If requested, it is possible to book courses including lunchtime supervision and/or ski rental.
CheckYeti Tip: When you’d like to take a break from skiing, check out the toboggan run and try taking a ride on the “Pistenbock” sledge track. The specially designed course is separated from the other pistes and guarantees lots of fun!
As I was born and raised in the Dolomites, the mountains are my place to be. That’s why skiing on perfectly groomed slopes on a wonderful sunny morning makes me more than happy.